The New Cumberland First Presbyterian Church was organized May 7, 1851 by a committee of the Presbytery of Washington, PA.
The first house of worship erected by the congregation on Court Street, cost about $5,000 in 1856. It was a two story brick building and served the early members of the congregation until 1887 when the building considered unsafe, was demolished.
In 1887 construction on the present church of native white (now black do to pollution and natural air dirt) sandstone began at the current site on Court Street. The stone quarried locally from Luke's Quarry located just outside the city limits on Hardin Run, was cut and fitted by hand in such a way that mortar was scarcely necessary to secure permanence of the structure, truly an edifice to typify the strength and perm
Building the Church 1887
The Church in all seasons.